Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The journey to today...

My father had a old Minolta camera he got for $5 in Vietnam.  He took family photos with it, and in 1982, he gave it to me to use in a photography class I was taking in 8th grade.  I wore it out, and got another one a few years later; almost identical, and wore it out too.  It used 35mm film, but it didn't have interchangeable lenses.  I lived in the darkroom at school and learned how much fun it was to develop black and white film.  I used the school's Canon and gave me my first real experience with a SLR.  Color was always my calling and as much as I loved taking photos, developing rolls and rolls of color film got expensive for a college student and I moved on to other things.  I always seemed to have a point and click camera though.

A few years later, I married a man very much into photography.  He loved his Nikon camera and I let him document the 7 years we were married.  In 2001, I asked him for his backup SLR to use and he found it frustrating that my flower photos were as good, if not better than his.  He kept both cameras after we split, and I went back to using a point and shoot camera after that.  A few years later, I remarried and my new husband could care less about a camera so the family photo duties were assigned to me.

Red Irish Lord, Skookumchuk, BC
I learned to scuba dive while working at a travel agency in 2000.  I found travel, photography and SCUBA went hand and hand.  Soon after becoming certified, almost every trip I took involved being underwater.  In 2002, digital photography became more and more mainstream and giving up a film camera only made sense.  I got a 1 MB digital camera that I could dive with as well as take topside photos.  I found myself using that camera so much, I wore out the battery door on it!

After a few years, I upgraded from the Sealife and moved into a Canon 10MP, which I used happily for several years.  It was easy, took great photos but I felt like I was missing something.  In 2011, I decided it was time for a "real" camera again.  I missed working with a SLR.  However, I wanted something easy to use underwater that wasn't a lot of money.  A Canon G12 became the answer.

Quillback Rockfish and Cloud Sponges, BC
The G12 rode sidesaddle with me everywhere.  I took photos of family, birds, flowers, weddings and of new babies.  I took it underwater and learned how to bring out color.  In the spring and summer of 2012 I documented the development of my overgrown garden, into a beautiful place to sit and enjoy the flowers.   I had finally hit a wall with the G12 though.  I wanted a longer lens and more options than what I was using.
Sea Anemone, BC


Underwater, the G12 was just beginning to hit its use.  I was getting some great photos with the camera and housing, but not using the external strobe or spotlight to get the macro stuff I wanted to capture.  I was having a blast taking green water shots and wider photos.  In 2013, I would like to get a better arm for the strobe and get some tight macro shots.  With all the cool opportunities with video programs, I would like to play with the video mode too and see what I can get live.  I feel I have at least 2 more years shooting with this camera underwater.

For Christmas this year, I asked my husband, Tom for a Digital SLR.  I did the research and decided that a Canon 60D was exactly what I was looking for.  I found the entry level DSLRs to be too close to my G12 and I wanted more of a challenge.  We found a great deal and the new camera was mine shortly after Thanksgiving.  I am looking forward to learning how to use it and take lots of photos of my garden next spring and summer.

My goal with this blog is to document my journey with photography, travel and scuba.  I will post family stuff from time to time too...my 8 year old son Robert and husband Tom are excellent subjects!  In 2013, I plan on taking some classes, teaching some classes and will documenting here.  Feel free to comment and give tips.

Leaves at Les Davis Pier and Park, Tacoma, November 2012
I will post a few photos, but most of my stuff will either be posted on FB or Flickr.  I will link this blog to both.

No comments: