Friday, December 7, 2012

The Canon 60D goes to its first party.

     I was invited to a Christmas party by the 7-Eleven franchisees. I thought it would be a great opportunity to see how the new camera would perform.  It was on an Argosy Cruise, so it was on the water. I took about 70 photos.  I split my photos into 2 groups, Seattle photos and people photos.

Seattle, Washington
American flag with Seattle in the distance; southern facing shot.
     First, my city shots.  These are okay but nothing I couldn't have got with my G12.  Disappointed that I couldn't pull more color.  I did not manually WB; I used the cloudy day setting.  I used 200 ISO and the camera is in program mode, so I didn't play with a F-stop.  I was on a moving boat, so I didn't really have the option of using the tripod.  I think if I had a longer lens I would have had more luck.  It was also drizzling, so I didn't want to stay outside for very long.  I wanted to get a photo of the new Wheel and the Space Needle in the same photo.  I also took one of the American flag on the boat with the shot of downtown.  It was nice because it added the color that the dreary December day was lacking.
The new Seattle Wheel is a pretty addition to the Seattle skyline, but during the day it isn't lit.  Had it been, it would have also added the much needed color.

Part 2, the people photos.  I was happy with most of the photos I took, but again, I think my G12 could have done well here.  However, here are a few photos I like.

Theresa and Barry

Mitter Pal Singh's youngest daughter

Prem Singh's daughter and son

Enjoying drinks and scenery

Manny Duo and Theresa cut up the dance floor.
I especially love the photos I got of the children; especially Prem Singh's son and daughter.  I didn't use a flash on the first 3; just ambient light and WB setting for indoor lighting (yellow).  The other 2 I used the cloudy day WB and flash.

So, I wanted to edit these a bit, so I thought I would got back to Lightroom and try to make my peace.  I was able to upgrade to LR 4.3.  No.  I could not easily navigate that program.  I was just frustrated just trying to import photos!  So, I didn't edit any of these.  I will write another blog soon explaining my dealings with LR.  I hope that I can use it...I got lots of photos I want to tweak!

So after my first day out with my new camera, still just starting to feel the love.  It is easy to use and I like the buttons on it.  I am still working on focusing using the eye piece again...that is something I haven't used at all with the last 4 digital cameras I had.  I need a new bag and also a longer neck strap.  I am looking forward to playing with it some more and using more of the manual settings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good start to your photography endeavor. Part of the reason why you may like the picture of the children is that you follow basic portrait rules. Shooting at or light below eye level to your subject.