Sunday, December 23, 2012

Photo sharing on the web...oh my...

Lingcod on 737 Artificial Reef, BC.  August 2012
I ran into one of the scuba instructors I work with at Lighthouse, Mike Penders, last night and he shared that a mutual friend and former student, Jesse Miller had purchased a new Canon DSLR and was taking it underwater with him.  The 3 of us had all be using the G10-12 series and while Mike and I were using the basic Canon housing, Jesse had upgraded to Iklite.  I am more into green water photography, while Mike and Jesse love to go out and take photos of the smallest stuff they can find.  I love to dive with them because we normally photograph the same stuff, but since our eyes and perspective is different, we come up with some cool versions of the same animal underwater.  Mike and I are instructors and love to teach, but Jesse has focused his energy into photography and has won contests with his photos.  Since I hadn't talked to Jesse in a while, Mike reminded me to check out Jesse's stuff on Smug Mug.  When I got home last night, I did and blown away with the beautiful images that he has taken over the last year.  What also impressed me was how nicely everything was presented on the website.  Since I don't have his permission, I won't publish his work here, but you can check it out on Smug Mug, under "Jesse Miller"

Mark and Kendra, August 2012
I started to think about the different options of storing photos on line.  I like the idea of it, especially if my computer or hard drive are lost or stolen.  I decided to Google the options and as expected, I was blown away by the choices.

Flickr seems to be the most popular and I have been using it for a while, but not consistently.  I have accounts on Snapfish and Photobucket but rarely use them.  I looked at Smug Mug and I think I liked it best because it is easy to use and allows me to grow my site into a website.  However, it isn't free like the others are.  I flipped onto Picasa because it is linked to Google and for free, it uploaded every photo on my laptop.    Besides the well-known sites, there are hundreds of smaller sites that offer everything from basic storage, to services for the professional photographer.  It is overwhelming, but excellent to know that there are options for everyone.


Most often, I use Facebook for storage and sharing, but the quality of their display isn't great.  But, for showing off snapshots, it is easy and quick, and I know that it is a great way to make sure my friends are able to see photos.  I think I will bit the bullet and just go ahead and jump into Smug Mug but not until I get everything watermarked.  For now, just look for my photos on FB, Picasa and maybe Flickr.  Let me know what photo sharing site you like best and why.

No comments: