Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Macro Lens...ripples and all!

Last month, Tom and I spent a week in Puerto Rico on an incentive trip I won with 7-Eleven.  While the dive operators were horrible and very expensive, the diving itself was amazing.  For this trip, I treated myself with a new toy for my G12 camera and housing...a wet macro lens.  I got a screaming deal on it at the Tacoma Dive Expo in April from Fantaseas and was excited to use it on our trip.
Queen Angelfish in Puerto Rico
Using it was very easy.  It clipped very securely onto my camera and could be removed with bungie clips.  Probably the most difficult thing was that I didn't have a strobe on the camera.  The internal flash would not work with the diffuser so I was stuck without a flash.  Once I got a little practice with the lens, I found it had some advantages.

Looking up the wall at 90'
I sat the camera on the sand for this shot of the Caribbean crab.
at about 35'
at 35'.  Notice you can see the ripples on the surface as well as the entire school of fish, and sand.
I learned that the lens was a great option, but not to be used on every shot.  Since I love taking green (blue in this case) shots, it became very handy.  A couple of times, I put the camera in the sand and got photos which included ripples on the surface, as much as 40-50 feet away.  Also, the lens made my subject seem actual size, rather than bigger.

I was excited to take it diving the the Pacific Northwest and a few weeks ago I had a great dive with my friend Jay Schick at Day Island Wall in Tacoma.  No external flash, so it made it difficult to use at depth.  However, I did shoot some video and that lens ROCKED with that feature.  The female Wolfeel was quite the willing subject on this dive.
Female Wolfeel on the top of DIW, 55'

At the top of Day Island Wall, (55') I could get ripples on the surface.  LOVE it!  At 20', great color and ripples too.  I am going to love this lens once I get my external flash to use with it.

Jay, at our safety stop.  No flash, but notice the surface ripples.
The camera housing had difficulties performing at 60 feet.  The buttons did not seem to work properly and it was difficult for me to take photos at depth.  I am concerned that it is "wearing out" and needs to be replaced.  I knew that the housing would be temporary, and it is over 2 years old now.  I may need to invest in a new housing.  Before my next dive, I will lube up all the buttons better, to see if that helps.  If not, I will be in the market for a new housing.

I love the new lens but I need to get a new arm system for my strobe and get out there and shoot some more!











2 comments:

Candace Brown said...

Hi Amy,

After you commented on my Good Life Northwest blog, I went to your profile and found your own interesting blog! Wow. You are an amazing photographer. I'm glad we "met" this way.

Candace Brown

Unknown said...

Thanks Candance! I will be posting some of my garden photos here very soon.